[MPlayer-users] crop, scale, expand, audio resample (basicley making DVD PAL combatible)

Heine Laursen maillist at gozar.dynu.com
Sun Mar 6 21:10:42 CET 2005

> in order to keep proportions and respect A/R read the thread about
> making NTSC dvd of today

I have seen it. Meaning loosley browsing the thread.

>> Now, does that get me a valid dvd pal compatible mpeg file, ready to
>> be used with dvdauthor software?
>
> yes

Hmm. The file was gowing to be used by a windows user, who uses TMPGEnc
dvd author. That have the following to say, about the mpeg file.
* The video frame rate 25 cannot be used with the resolution of 704x480
This framerate can only be used with the following resolutions:
352x288, 352x576, 704z576 720x576 pixels (pal format only)
Critical error!

* The video bitrate 104857 kbps is to high for a standard DVD
for standart DVD the maximum video bitrate is 9.8 MBps ( 9800 kbps)
Non Critical error!

* The video GOP is too long
DVD-video standarts requries the GOP structure as below
36 fiels (18 frames) (NTSC system)
30 fiels (15 frames) (PAL system)
If you are using the XDVD format you can ignore this message
Non Critical error!

I have tryed dvdauthor on my debian box. And there are there no problems
what so ever with making a dvd. I have also read various places that
704x480 should be a valid pal resolution. It might be right about the
bitrate, as I did'ent specify any bitrate. I have no idea of the last
thing.
oh well, back to the drawing board :-)

>> also note I have also tryed with -mc 0 -noskip, but then the
>> audio/video was out of sync!
>
> obviously if the source is 29.97 and the target is 25 frames must be
> skipped

Oops. I completley forgot to mention why I was even trying that.
I got lots of frame skips. That's has to be expected when converting from
ntfs to pal, as far as I can understand.
--
Sincerley
Heine Laursen