[MPlayer-users] One question - quality related

Vijay Gill vijay.s.gill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 00:10:23 CET 2005

Hi,
   I encode my recorded programs (PVR350 + MythTV + mencoder) to mpeg2
(KVCD matrices) to make DVDs of my recordings. I notice that if I
encode at 352x288 then in scenes with motion have a strange flickering
effect. The flickering is not in brightness but in quality. What i
mean is that movie becomes clear every second and then starts getting
grainier and grainer till another second.
   To me it seems like it becomes clear every key frame and then
starts getting worse. Pardon me if I am wrong.
   Can anybody shed some light onto it? If I encode the same movie
with 720x576 resolutions, I do not see that effect, but all programs
do not require that resolution(or detail) so I wish to save space as
well.

Regards from
VJ