[MPlayer-users] can anyone play the Oblivion trailer?

Thu Jun 30 18:19:01 CEST 2005

Hi Hans Stark!

 On 2005.06.30 at 17:56:16 +0200, Hans Stark wrote next:

> Thanks, that worked !!!
> I didn't expect to have not enough video ram for playing a mere video.
> I have an 128 MB radeon 9800 pro with fglrx, too.

It's a good card with enough video ram. But with crappy drivers. flgrx
drivers has problems with -vo xv on high resolutions. Also, they have
problems on low resolutions, the image is pixilated - at least for some
videos. Looks like it incorrectly uses card resources.

The real solution is to use -vo xvidix. You'll be able to play videos in
any resolution and without any bad effects (but there are drawbacks -
you'll have to use suid root mplayer, 'alias mplayer="sudo mplayer"'
solution that I use works too). Also it can be a bit faster than xv (and
much faster than x11).

I can play 1920x1080 wmv videos just fine with 60% load under xvidix.
With non-vidix drivers either a lot of drop frames occur or it's
completely unplayable.

Actually, if you don't use video players beside mplayer, I suggest you
to turn of video overlay and turn on gl overlay in config file.  You
still will be able to use xvidix and you won't need that crappy xv
anyway.

--

Vladimir