[MPlayer-users] how can i make mplayer aquire licenses for.wmvfile off the net?

Phil Oleynik Oleynik.Phil at mail.ioffe.ru
Sun Jun 26 00:36:28 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 01:17:44PM -0400, Tony Sim wrote:
>

>>curious; how does unix-like os deal w/ ms drm?  is there a linux version of
>>wmp? or do u just scrap it and go on w/ non drm files?
>>

>you just don't buy drm'd files. it's very simple. i've never seen a
>drm file in the wild; the only way you get them is if you're stupid
>enough to pay money for something you're subsequently not allowed to
>use.
>
>rich

Well, agree, I still cannot get it. Why use DRM or whatever, licenses,
that are "hard to obtain",
if one can just go and buy CD, DVD or anything? Or we stepped into era,
when all
the stuff will be encoded and old CD-players are to be in museum?
I cannot get it. It wastes time, nerves, disk space and traffic to get
players or whatever.
I bet DRM track is not playable on e.g. P-I-150. I know some people, who
still use
such machines, they play mp3s just fine.

Philipp