[MPlayer-users] Problems with big files

Dooferlad dooferlad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 13:07:58 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have had a look about and this issue seems to come up from time to
time, but I haven't found a fix.

I am trying to encode large (3Gig +) mpeg2 files as xvid. The first
thing to note is that mencoder doesn't have a clue about how large the
file is - it can't produce a % done. It also produces bad video files
of the wrong size (can't read them using vlc or media player classic).
On one system (P4HT) it also crashes when encoding the video. This
with the audio output disabled. All in all not the best start! I also
want to dump the audio as an wav so I can encode it as vorbis, which
crashes on another system (Athlon XP).

I am using Windows XP (P4HT system) and 2k (Athlon XP system). The
encode is being done by a script which works perfectly with smaller
files. I have tried splitting the input file down and all seems well,
so it looks like the problem is the input file is so large. I am
guessing this may be related to the byte pointer (32 bit number)
running out at 2 gig, but moving between systems shouldn't make any
difference if this is the case... The largest file I have tried so far
with success is a gig, but I am sure I can try bigger.

As a workaround I am probably going to use an mpeg splitter and join
the results at the opposite end using mkv tools, but it is not ideal.

Any ideas?

Dooferlad