[MPlayer-users] divx6

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jun 22 22:06:41 CEST 2005

Kichigai Mentat wrote:

> On Jun 22, 2005, at 07.21, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 6/22/05, Alejandro Vargas <alejandro.anv at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've tried to play a .divx file (divx6) and worked right (and is
>>> identified as divx5). But what about the menus,
>>
>> Same status as for DVDs IMHO: probably never. :-(
>>
>>> subtitles, sound tracks, etc. that is supposed to can hold the
>>> new ".divx" files?
>>
>> Sound tracks should work all right, as multiple sound tracks are
>> already supported. As far as subs, why not? Patches are surely
>> welcome! :-)
>
> Actually, I think the only files that have multiple soundtracks and
> possibly multiple subtitles supported is Matroska and OGM.
>
> But, unless the popularity of .divx picks up, especially in the open
> source community (read: open command-line conversion apps become
> available), I'm not too sure that MPlayer's community will pick up on
> it, sadly. .divx might be treated as more of a proprietary
> container.

...are you sure it's a separate container format? I downloaded some
files with the .divx extension at least three years ago (I forget the
exact duration, it was before I moved to Linux), and they played just
fine in various programs; I believe they were simply AVI files with DivX
video, which someone had decided to call .divx instead of .avi. Are the
files mentioned by the OP actually a new container, or just more of the
same?

If in fact they *are* AVI files, then there's already been much
discussion of embedded-soft-subtitle issues, and why they not only
currently don't work but are unlikely to work in the near future.

(And aren't some supported containers, such as Real, considered
proprietary?)

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.