[MPlayer-users] Looking for a FAQ on using mencoder to create high quality mpeg files

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 11:11:50 CEST 2005

Hi

On 6/16/05, John Dickinson <john.k.dickinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a digital camera with a movie mode and I made the mistake of
> recording a movie with the camera orientated vertically.  Obviously I
> want to rotate the video recording so that I can put it on a cd to
> send to relatives with mpeg(2?) compatible dvd players and computers.

Now that we have powerful codecs such as H.264 and MPEG-4 ASP (aka
"DivX"), are you sure you want to encode in mpeg2? You'll get
substantially smaller files with recent codecs.

> I have learned how to make poor quality wmv or mpeg movies with them
> rotated correctly but was hoping for somethign that preserves most of
> the 2 megs of the original file instead of dropping it to 500 kb.
>
> What is the best way to convert the video into good quality mpeg and
> some other good quality standard Windows codec compatible (wmv or avi)
> video after doing the rotate=1.

That's maybe not what you are looking for, but anyhow:
this will tell you which options you may use with ffmpeg's msmpeg4
codec (supposed to play out of the box on windows machines):
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/compat.php
this is the doc of mencoder, that as been improved lately:
http://mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/mencoder.html

Hope this helps,
Regards,

Guillaume
--
I should have invented the tape recorder,
that way people would have more quotes of