[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Re: [-] monitoraspect

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jun 2 05:43:56 CEST 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 10:57:09PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Mai 2005 17:42 schrieb Rich Felker:
> > On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 02:00:45PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > > Always make sure the "DiplaySize" entry is correct. Most other
> > > videoplayers besides MPlayer respect the "DisplaySize" entry.
> > > Additionally fonts will be too large if your "DisplaySize" is smaller
> > > than the actual size.
> > >
> > > Just change your Display Size entry to:
> > > 	DisplaySize  357 286
> >
> > As far as I'm concerned, displaysize must not be set and DPI must be
> > set to 75. Otherwise you can't use the nice bitmap fonts, which look
> > better than any scalable ones I've seen.
>
> ?? Even MPlayer can use truetype fonts for subtitles.

The point was not MPlayer but my web browser, terminals, etc. For
those I want the scalable fonts to be on the right scale where it can
use bitmap fonts for common sizes.

> And btw.: a Truetype font with subpixel hinting is looking better than any
> bitmap font. (IMHO)

Subpixel is nonsense except on LCD, which looks like crap IMNSHO. I
will only use CRT. And even with subpixel, hand-edited bitmap fonts
made for it (if the system allowed them) would look better than any
scalable fonts...

Rich