[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 29 15:57:24 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 03:20:04PM +0200, Alexander Roalter wrote:
> Rich Felker wrote:
> >I consider 2-disc totally unacceptable. Who the hell wants to get up
> >and switch discs in the middle of watching a movie? It totally ruins
> >the atmosphere! LOTR would fit just fine on one disc if properly
> >encoded.
>
> I'm not sure I can agree with this, 4 Stereo tracks, 1 5.1 DD track and
> a DTS track together already consume a lot of space. And although some
> level of quality can be achieved with 3-4 Mb/s, and LOTR is in Scope
> with 130 lines of black bars (PAL), i still doubt 250 minutes are *that*
> well compressable on one DVD-9.

You already answered the question about what the problem is: 4 stereo
tracks, 1 5.1 ac3 track, and 1 DTS track. Change that to 1 5.1 ac3
track and nothing else and you'll have no problem with space.

> 2-Disc is no problem with mplayer. Dump the tracks beforehand, cat'em
> together and you don't have any flicker/click or something else in the
> transition, especially with part 2 & 3, where the break is not that well
> placed as in the first part with a fade to black. On the 2nd, you even
> hear it on the soundtrack, the 2nd disc starts with a sound fading out!
>
> All you need is ~20 GB of free space, and you can watch the movie in one
> rush.

ROTFL! I'm supposed to dump 20 gigs to hdd every time I want to watch
a movie? This is the most ridiculous suggestion I've seen on this list
in a long time..

There's already a proper solution. It's called ripping the whole thing
to a 1.4gig mpeg4 file, at same or better quality than the original
dvd. However the point is that DVDs are stupidly mastered, and that
still stands.

Rich