[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 29 14:11:34 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 08:56:19PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 23:56:09 -0700
> RC <rcooley at spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > Well, I guess I have to retract that.  filmdint certainly does a very
> > good job, producing bit-for-bit identical output as the input, when
> > the source is 60fps interlaced (using "filmdint=dint_thresh=256").
> > All the others remove a significant number of fields from the output
> > (detc, ivtc, pullup).
>
> Alright, I've got it all figured out now.  filmdint was working a
> little too perfectly on interlaced materials, because I added an "h" to
> "dint_thres" that shouldn't have been there.  So, like any good bit of
> code, it silently failed, so it wasn't being used at all.

Silently? I think mplayer prints errors when a filter can't be
loaded..

> That was the source of the flickering as well...  Watching an
> interlaced program, I'd get a telecined commercial (surprised me too)
> which wouldn't be inversed, since filmdint wasn't working at all.
>
> Now that I've fixed that typo, filmdint doesn't look nearly as good
> on interlaced materials.  Since I'm tired of talking to myself, I'm
> starting a new thread, including that info.

You probably also need to tell it not to use the 5:4 in:out ratio.
Force it to 1:1. This will make telecined content choppy (with
duplicates of ever 4th frame) but it should make it possible to pass
thru interlaced content.

Rich