[MPlayer-users] Best inverse telecine filter for mixed content...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Fri Jul 29 06:56:55 CEST 2005

This is spun-off of the thread "Crop before deinterlacing OK?"  The
question is, which inverse telecine filter works best for TV captures,
where you can't be sure if the content will be telecined or interlaced?

Here's one test, showing how many frames of
interlaced material each inverse telecine filter outputs...

wc -l md5sums-* | sort -n
   798 md5sums-filmdint=dint_thres=256,pp=lb
   880 md5sums-ivtc,pp=lb
   881 md5sums-detc,pp=lb
   960 md5sums-pullup,pp=lb
   998 md5sums-filmdint=io=1:1
   998 md5sums-pp=lb

filmdint is noticably the worst for interlaced.  It's strictly
enforcing the output of 24fps, even when the input is not telecined.
Maybe that will look okay when encoding everything with -ofps
24000/1001 (I'll have to try that), but it looks quite bad for live
playback. Forcing it with io=1:1 is probably just making it output
duplicate fields, which looks very bad when using those options with
actual telecined material (may as well leave filmdint out).

detc/ivtc do a fairly good job, but I expected better.  Other than
jumpiness, I never see defects from using detc/ivtc on interlaced
materials.

pullup seems to be doing a VERY good job, reducing the frame-rate by
less than 4%.  Strict-breaks -1 didn't do any better.

Okay, Rich, you can tell me why I'm completely wrong now...  ;-)