[MPlayer-users] Playing while dumping a stream?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jul 28 00:33:37 CEST 2005

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:10:05 +0930
"Mark Williams (MWP)" <mwp at internode.on.net> wrote:

> Ive tried playing the dumped stream file using mplayer, but it stops
> at the point where the recording was when the playing was started...
> it doesnt continue.
> I imagine this is due to mplayer reading the file size at starting of
> playback and stopping when at that position rather than playing until
> EOF?

No, mplayer doesn't do anything of the sort.

The problem is that it's playing close enough to the end of the file
that it caches the EOF.  Running mplayer with "- nocache" will usually
help, but you still need to leave a bit of time between what you're
playing, and the current EOF.

As others have suggested, using something like "cat FILE | mplayer -"
may also work.