[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Jul 27 23:27:58 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 11:26:33PM +0400, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> Hi Giacomo Comes!
>
>  On 2005.07.27 at 14:43:11 -0400, Giacomo Comes wrote next:
>
> > The article is intresting because explains why DTS seems to be
> > better than AC3, but it is not truly related to the encoding
> > capabilities of mencoder. mencoded cannot encode dts nor it can
> > copy the dts stream from a DVD into the mpeg container (it can only
> > copy it in the avi container).
>
> Please tell how. I already asked this on the list, no one answered.
> Using -oac copy on video with dts stream either produces a huge amount
> of frame drops which results in jerky video and a/v desync, with -mc 0
> it crashes soon with "too many audio packets" messages.

This command line produces a good avi with dts:
(I use -chapter 2-2 and no special video codec options to quickly test the command line)

mencoder -noskiplimit -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:autoaspect:vbitrate=1600 -o file.avi dvd://1 -aid 137 -chapter 2-2 -oac copy

Source is PAL.

Are you doing something different?

Giacomo