[MPlayer-users] [OT] AC3 vs. DTS

Giacomo Comes comes at naic.edu
Wed Jul 27 20:43:11 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 06:51:11PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 July 2005 at 17:59, Giacomo Comes wrote:
> > I remember some months ago a "talk" on
> > the list about somebody claming that DTS is better than
> > Dolby and somebodyelse claiming that it was only
> > propaganda.
> > I have found an article that gives some technical
> > explanation about the two formats.
> >
> > It may be an intresting reading:
> >
> > http://www.spannerworks.net/reference/10_1a.asp
>
> Maybe we should add a link to that somewhere in the encoding section
> of the docs?

The article is intresting because explains why DTS seems to be
better than AC3, but it is not truly related to the encoding
capabilities of mencoder. mencoded cannot encode dts nor it can
copy the dts stream from a DVD into the mpeg container (it can only
copy it in the avi container).
In the current html documentation there are two paragraph about ac3
2.2.2.1. Software AC3 decoding
2.2.2.2. Hardware AC3 decoding

There could be two more about dts (software and hardware).
The link about the article can be in one of these new paragraph or in
8.1.9. Audio

Somebody knows more about dts deconding?

My knowledge is limited about that.

Giacomo