[MPlayer-users] tfields vs denoise3d

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jul 26 01:22:31 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 06:25:57PM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am recording from TV with
> mencoder [...] -vf crop[...],tfields,denoise3d -fps 50 -ofps 50 [...]
>
> Denoise3d has a default of "denoise3d=4:3:6".
> (The last number is the temporal strength)
>
> I want to achieve the same effect that denoise3d does on 25fps video, so I
> have to use denoise3d=4:3:12, right?

I'm not sure. It's a nonlinear filter and I don't understand the code
(haven't read it closely enough yet), so I'm not sure what values you
need to get a comparable effect. High temporal denoise really helps
after tfields though (to alleviate the flicker).

> If my TV is noisy, should I increase spatial luma and chroma strength,
> temporal strength, or all three values?

I would increase all three as much as you can without resulting in
unacceptable blurring (spatial) or ghosting (temporal). Basically it's
a matter of testing and finding out what looks right.

Rich