[MPlayer-users] Re: Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Mon Jul 25 14:43:45 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:56:06AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> Am Montag, 25. Juli 2005 00:48 schrieb Rich Felker:

> > > Have you ever tried pp=l5? It seems to be a variant of pp=lb which
> > > produces slightly more sharpness. I think it should not have any
> > > disadvantages.
> >
> > It has all the same disadvantages as lb, plus the disadvantages of a
> > sharpener (hurting compressibility and not improving quality).
>
> Maybe not improving psnr but I think it improves visual quality. I have
> done some tests with different test patterns and the deinterlaced result
> of pp=l5 is much more comparable to the original as the one from pp=lb.
>
> (btw.: when measuring the psnr between the original and the scaled down
> and encoded video, sws=2 or sws=6 often results in higher PSNR than sws=1
> or sws=7)
>
> > It's
> > exactly the same thing as running pp=lb followed by a simple -1,4,-1
> > sharpening filter.
>
> But as pp=lb by the very nature of the system introduces some vertical
> blurring this sharpening might improve the overall quality.

If you weren't going to encode, yes. But a sharpening filter will just
hurt compressibility and lower the psnr of the actual encode.

> > > With TFTs it is getting even worse because pp=lb lowers the contrast
> > > at the edges of moving objects which rises the response time of TFTs.
> >
> > I don't think this has anything to do with it..
>
> The response time of most TFTs is dependent on the contrast between the
> two colours. Sharp edges as they are produced by pp=fd result in higher
> local contrast between the actual and the last frame which in result is
> good for TFTs.
> For example: a black object is moving over white ground.
> when using pp=fd the response time from black to white and from white to
> black is relevant.
> When using pp=lb the respons timee from black to gray, gray to white,
> white to gray and gray to black are relevant which often need much more
> time than switches between black and white.

Again I really do not think this is the issue at hand. I know what
you're talking about but it's hardly relevant. The ghosting you see is
just because pp=lb created a nasty ghost. It's visible on CRT too.

Rich