[MPlayer-users] Codec for HD-DVD WMV9

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Jul 24 22:18:08 CEST 2005

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:24:04 +0200
Hutti <hutti_ at gmx.de> wrote:

> I have two DVD's which are in HD-DVD codec with WMV9. Is there a
> codec with which I can watch this DVD's in mplayer? I can see a few
> smaler files on this DVD's, size between 20 and 90 MB. But the main
> file would not be shown, mplayer crashes.

MPlayer handles WMV9 just fine.  It does NOT, however, handle the DRM
on WMV-HD DVDs.  I guess the smaller files don't have the DRM on them.

In theory, you should be able to use Graphedit on Windows to make a DRM-
free copy on disk, but I've never tried it.  I make it a point not to
buy DRM-ridden media until/unless it's cracked wide-open (like DVDs).