[MPlayer-users] Re: Crop before deinterlacing OK?

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Sat Jul 23 18:12:54 CEST 2005

Am Samstag, 23. Juli 2005 16:45 schrieb Rich Felker:
> On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 09:56:37AM +0200, Matthias Wieser wrote:
> > > Yes, especially during pans.
> >
> > When will Mplayer be able to smooth the GMC vektor during playback?
> > ;-)
>
> No, this will only cause image corruption. Even minute changes in
> motion compensation will corrupt the image significantly over
> 200-frame key intervals,

You could make a only-for-display copy of the frame and do the GMC
smoothing only there... But hey, it was meant as a joke!

> Yes, some high-budget TV series these days are shot on film and then
> telecined. Low-budget stuff is usually shot with video cameras (60i).

Got it.

> > Do you think it would work for *most* (not all) live recordings to
> > provide two profiles: one with detc and -ofts=~24 and another one
> > with kerndeint?
>
> You'd better test and see what you think.

Fortunately I am living in a PAL country without those NTSC problems. That
makes it a bit difficult for me to evaluate MPlayer's inverse telecine
filters. That's the reason why I'm asking the mailinglist.

> To me, it will look
> horrible, but you might find it acceptable. detc is unreliable enough
> IMO that I would at least follow it with pp=lb. lb doesn't do too much
> damage to progressive frames (unlike proper deinterlacers), and if
> detc accidentally makes some combed frames pp=lb will hide them with
> some blurring.

OK, sounds resonable. Maybe I am the only one who does not like pp=lb
because of this effect:
Without:  http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/vf_raw_ntv_8/orig.jpg
pp=lb:    http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/vf_raw_ntv_8/raw_ntv_8_pp-lb.jpg
kerndeint:http://home.knuut.de/MWieser_/vf_raw_ntv_8/raw_ntv_8_kerndeint-0025,..jpg