[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Re: [-] Crop before deinterlacing OK?

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 23 07:31:53 CEST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:28:28 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> If you follow inverse telecine by a deinterlacer, output will be
> almost as bad as if you just used a deinterlacer.

I'm getting tired of arguing this point over and over again, and on
the same thread...

We've already established that he isn't going to be able to guess what
the content will be before he captures it, and isn't going to be
capturing interlaced and re-encoding, so a combination of filters that
can handle both is necessary.

You've already said that detc should do very little if any damage to
pure interlaced content.  Deinterlacers like kerndeint or pp=lb should
also do little/no damage to the content if the detc filter has already
converted it.  So I'm not sure why you're still arguing.

I have also never known any of mplayer's inverse telecine filters to be
perfect...  So not including a deinterlacer often leaves videos with
mismatched fields, which of course looks very bad.