[MPlayer-users] Play movies without any gap

Tue Jul 19 00:43:00 CEST 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.07.18 at 17:46:01 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > It works only with several VOs. However, it doesn't work with xvidix
> > (the best vo for radeon card owners), and doesn't work with x11.
> > It generally works, but has problems with video aspect ratio for some
> > other vo, like gl and gl2. So basically, it's very buggy and almost
> > unusable..
>
> x11, gl, and gl2 are all broken vo's that no one should be using.

x11 is broken? But isn't it most generic and simplest non-accelerated
driver, besides, isn't it default?

Anyway, I already reported bugs with fixed-vo 2 years ago and about 10
months ago, they were even reproduced, but never fixed. And I don't
remember other people complaining about them. So I guess a very small
amount of people plays several files at once, and no one cares.

> They're slow and very low quality. If xvidix is broken with -fixed-vo,

x11 gives the highest quality with bicubic scaler, and gl is ultimate
solution for low-resolution video with subtitles, since it renders them
to fullscreen resolution (well, x11 too, but gl is faster).

> it should be fixed asap. Or just use cvidix..

What, switch to console to play some clip? You must be joking...

With xvidix it's broken in several places. The most annoying is
switching to next video while in fullscreen. It er.. I just can't
describe it easily, most likely it's WM-dependent too (I'm using
wmaker). I'll probably try to describe the funny things happening if
they will prove to be WM/video card/driver specific, but not right now.

Since there is workaround (switch to window mode before going to next
file, and don't play files with funny aspect ratios, they may break
future videos - but that's another bug), using fixed-vo is just
annoying, not really impossible.

--

Vladimir