[MPlayer-users] Play movies without any gap

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Mon Jul 18 20:31:04 CEST 2005

inpreet wrote:

[that Gullaume Poirier wrote:]
> On 7/18/05, Rajinder Paul <paul.rajinder at netsity.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using MPlayer on linux. Its one of the best media player I
>> have ever seen. I have an requirement of playing media files back
>> to back without any gap in between. Right now when I play to file
>> mplayer take some time to play second file. I want seamless playing
>> video. How can I do this?
>>
>> From the top of my head: -fixed-vo (just beware, it's beta code).

...*beta*? News to me. I've been using it for literally *years*, and
I've never had any problems with it, so unless I've just slipped through
the cracks between universes again...

> Its not working out. What should I do to play two movies without any
> gap in between them. I cannot join them before playing. bcoz in live
> environment movies keep on changing so I cannot pre-combine them. I
> need a solution at play them seamless.

First, explain "not working out". I use -fixed-vo routinely, and there
is no pause, no delay, not even any flicker between the videos for me.

The above comes with a slight caveat: the only time I let a video reach
its end, instead of quitting midway through, is when using -fs. I've
just tested, and predictably enough, when viewing in a more standard
window there is a discontinuity between videos - the window resizes to
match the new video's resolution, and (though this is probably dependent
on WM settings) may jump to another location on the screen. I do not
know offhand of any way to avoid that.

The only reason I can think of why there might be any remaining delay,
when using -fixed-vo, is if your system is simply not fast enough to
load the next video in time. If that's the case, then there is almost
certainly no way to fix the problem short of hardware upgrades.

Also, STOP TOP-POSTING. If you don't know what that means, Google it,
and (given your record so far - including sending direct mail to list
members en masse!) I for one would rather that you not post here again
until you've figured it out.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.