[MPlayer-users] MPlayer seeks incorrectly in MPEG files - solution?

Yaro Pollak slava at plris.com
Sun Jul 17 14:44:59 CEST 2005

Hi everyone,

I'm using MPlayer-1.0pre7
While playing my MPEG-4 PS files I've discovered that seeking in the file wasn't that exact, or not possible at all.
As I studied this case I realized that the algorithms in demux_mpg.c do not take into consideration those cases where the file does not start with timestamp 0 (i.e. first pts in file is not 0, in my case it's way off 0, 120.0 in one instance). In particular this results in the algorithm deciding that the file doesn't have correct timestamps (even though it does), and generally, the seek is always done with an offset forward. I've made the required changes (added a member to mpg_demuxer and added it's usage throughout the file where it's needed) and now it works correctly.

My question is - was I correct in doing this, and if I was, should I post the changes I made (and where?), I am rather new at this :)

Thanx,
Yaro