[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 12 06:24:09 CEST 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 12:23:55 -0400
Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> Compute the number of possible frames, and the number of possible
> outputs of pp=lb.

I must admit, I have no idea what you're trying to say here...

60fields/sec vs. 30fps isn't vastly smaller, IMHO.  But more
importantly, the frames are double the height of the fields, so
basically two are being assembled together.

> Encoding the video first, then playing it at 60 fps with proper
> refresh rate, etc.? It looks just like tv to me.

Yes, that's what I've been trying, over and over.

> My guess is that the timing on your computer is very bad.. Maybe bad
> ao driver? Does the problem go away with -nosound?

Well, damn.  You're right, -nosound helps tremendously.  It still
doesn't look like live TV, but that's taken care of the major problem.
 I'll keep working on it.

> One field _really_ is offset by half a scanline from the other.

Of course, but each field is getting upscaled from 240 to 480, so that
should be providing some basic interpolation.

> no, you just don't know what aliasing is... aliasing is basically
> impossible to mask once it's there.

So aliasing isn't the process by which smooth curves and other
lines become jagged because the resolution of the graphics device or
file is not high enough to represent a smooth curve?

And antialiasing methods don't exist?