[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] Question on converting to DivX4...

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Tue Jul 12 05:12:13 CEST 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 18:28:29 +0200
Matthias Wieser <mwieser at gmx.de> wrote:

> Just take a test video consisting of alternating black and white
> horizontal lines. Without pp=lb you will see horizontal lines, with
> pp=lb you will see a solid grey colour. => Information is lost.

I realize information is lost by the bluring pp=lb does, but that
doesn't equate to 50%.

Hmm, how about an actual test?  Assuming a 480i source, compare "- vf
scale=:240" with "-vf pp=lb". The latter looks noticably better.

> Hard contrasts cause flicker on TV, too. The edges of those bars
> across the lower part of the screen very often flicker unless you are
> using a 100Hz TV.

It's not a 100Hz TV, and I can't see any flicker in the TV signal.  The
flickering from tfields, though, is VERY obvious.