[MPlayer-users] Question on converting to DivX4...

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Jul 8 16:01:11 CEST 2005

On Thu, Jul 07, 2005 at 06:31:24PM -0700, RC wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Jul 2005 15:25:46 -0400
> Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
>
> > No, this has absolutely nothing to do with threads. Stop trolling for
> > threads.
>
> You must be thinking of someone else.  I don't believe I have EVER
> mentioned threads before...

Sorry I didn't mean you. I just meant there have been a lot of people
lately suggesting that MPlayer's bugs/limitations have something to do
with lack of threads, and it's making me ideg... :)

> > > Or do you still have the problem if you playback something
> > > that was deinterlaced and re-encoded?
> >
> > Of course you still have this problem. "Deinterlacing" in the stupid
> > definition most people use means "throwing away every other field" so
> > of course the motion will look choppy.
>
> 30fps video doesn't need to look choppy.  Even 24fps video can look
> quite good.

Yes, but nowhere near as good as the original. It's like saying
320x240 video can look good. Yes it can, and I'm perfectly happy to
have a 320x240 encode of an amature animation originally made in that
format. But if the original is something actually high quality, I'd be
appalled to see it reduced to 320x240 by someone's bad encode...

> I was refering to the issue mplayer has when detelecining/
> deinterlacing.  Certain frames are displayed for different lengths of
> time, so panning usually looks (unnecessarily) jumpy.  However, after
> deinterlacing and re-encoding, mplayer can play back the progressive
> (30fps) video perfectly smooth.

This is true for inverse telecine from 60i to 24p. It's not true for
true interlaced video. Runtime deinterlacing will look just as smooth
as reencoding unless your cpu is too slow to keep up.

> This problem does not appear with MPlayerXP, so saying it has nothing
> to do with threads seems a rather ignorant and baseless assertion.  Of

Then the problem is that the cpu is too slow for realtime
deinterlacing, and MPlayerXP's buffering-ahead remedies the problem.

> > But you've made beautiful 60fps motion into shitty choppy 30fps
> > motion.
>
> A matter of preference.  I prefer 30fps 720x480 material, rather than
> 60fps 720x240 material...  (ghosts and all)

If you really insist on throwing away half the content in your video
and making it choppy, I won't argue with you. But properly
deinterlaced 60p video looks REALLY good. The difference in smoothness
is amazing.

Rich