[MPlayer-users] introducing DVD-to-DivX approach that fixes A/V sync problems

Joachim Jautz lists.mplayer-users at jay-jay.net
Thu Jul 7 21:18:30 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 06:12:27PM +0100, Martin Collins wrote:
> > My assumption is that the recommended way that is described in the
> > mplayer documentation requires to encode the video twice if you
> > want to get two different language versions.
>
> You can do this with a final muxing stage. First split out the audio
> tracks and process them as you please. I suggest you look into
> replaygain rather than normalizing. Then encode the video using -oac
> copy to maintain sync. Then mux your audio into the video replacing
> the copied audio. You can do this for each language.

Thanks for the hint, I did some more or less successful
experiments today. Right now, it seems to me that I get
synchronous audio and video only if I disable mencoder's built-in
A/V sync correction in the final muxing step, i.e. by adding
-mc 0 -noskip

As this discussion is becoming complex I'm going to write a
summary of this thread's results tomorrow.

Joachim