[MPlayer-users] General DVD Questions

Alexander Roalter roalter at cs.tum.edu
Thu Jul 7 21:05:42 CEST 2005

Martin McCormick wrote:
> 	So, without X, can a person read the menu and select chapters
> as well as play the whole disk or at least a movie all the way
> through?
>
> 	I also know from our stand-alone DVD player that there seem to
> be many variations in the way commercial DVD's are arranged so what is
> true for one DVD is probably at least different for another.
>
> 	I figure this list should be a good resource for at least
> knowing what kinds of data are stored to enable the navigation process.

Navigation in DVD menus seems not to be an issue with mplayer, it's
simply not there and there is no real effort behind to get it done.

I (and I assume every other mplayer user) play the tracks directly via
mplayer dvd://1, mplayer dvd://2 and so on. Most DVDs have the main
feature at number 1, but others don't so there's always some fiddling
around until the real movie is found. I for my part am keeping a
database like playlist, where the main feature (together with other
infos as format, audio- and subtitle tracks) are stored.

hth,
Alex