[MPlayer-users] MPlayer-1.0pre7 for Intel Platform no Longer Plays Certain Stream.

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Jul 6 22:20:22 CEST 2005

	I am using a 600-MHZ Dell Dimension with 128 megs of RAM to
try to play the stream indicated in the URL below.

	In May of this year, the stream played perfectly but stopped
working at  or around the first of June.

http://www.streamaudio.com/stations/asx/kssk_fm.asx

	This is a radio station audio feed from Honolulu, HI.  I
first thought that there had been network trouble as this is what the
audio sounds like now.  One hears little bursts of sound that are
clear and last about a quarter of a second.  Then, there are long
silent periods.  I even tried mplayer -dumpstream and captured about
an hours worth of programming.  If I try

mplayer -quiet stream.dump

it buzzes through the hour in about a minute or so and plays lots of
very short bursts of audio and occasional static.  I can describe the
effect as like trying to listen to a very dirty CD or having the
player knocked around very hard.  Here is the output of mplayer:

MPlayer 1.0pre7-3.3.5 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Celeron 2/Pentium III Coppermine,Geyserville (Family: 6, Stepping: 1)
Detected cache-line size is 32 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE

Playing stream.dump.
ASF file format detected.
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 22050 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 22.0 kbit/3.12% (ratio: 2751->88200)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm:ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))
Checking audio filter chain for 22050Hz/2ch/s16le -> 22050Hz/2ch/s16le...
AF_pre: 22050Hz/2ch/s16le
AO: [oss] 22050Hz 2ch s16le (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 22050Hz/2ch/s16le -> 22050Hz/2ch/s16le...
Video: no video
Starting playback...

	After reading documentation on the web site, I tried

mplayer -quiet -vc svq1

	I also tried ffsvq1 with absolutely no difference in results.

	When I use mplayer, I am actually operating the system via
serial terminal so there are no video consoles logged in.

	Does this sound familiar to anybody?  Two very similar Dell
systems, one with a SBlive sound card and another with the stock
Yamaha sound systems behave exactly the same way.  One is on a 100 Mb
Ethernet at my work place and the other is on a DSL line at home.
Both systems play just about anything else in the way of sound or
sound stripped from television feeds that one can throw at it so the
system is performing brilliantly well except for this feed which used
to work without missing a beat.

	My thanks to all of those who have contributed to this
software.  You have done a great job.

Martin McCormick