[MPlayer-users] mplayer: relocation error: /usr/lib/libavcodec-cvs.so

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sun Jul 3 18:57:27 CEST 2005

On Saturday, 02 July 2005 at 01:26, raid517 wrote:
> Out of curiosity, is there any 'official' version of that package that
> would work? (I have no issues with rebuilding Mplayer).

In essence: libavcodec has too unstable an API to be used as a dynamic
library. So the answer is: there should be no package providing shared
libavcodec.so on your system.

> I ask as cinelerra needs it and it would be nice if I could get both
> Mplayer and cinelerra to work in harmony (cinelerra for editing my
> movies and Mplayer for watching them).

I haven't tried Cinelerra (yet), but MPlayer and MEncoder have always
worked flawlessly on my system. It's not Debian, though, it's Fedora.

[...]
> Also how can I avoid things like this in the future? I'm not sure I can
> stop my Debian box from pulling in updates - as all of my codecs libs
> and other packages would quickly become rather old.

Well, AFAIK you can "pin" specific versions of certain packages in apt so
that they're not updated.

> What is meant when you speak of official packages? I would imagine that
> as a lot of these packages are not directly aviable from Debian, they
> are all to an extent somewhat unnoficial. I certainly would tell
> packagers to follow packaging guidelines - but unfortunately I doubt me
> simply telling them this is likely to change very much. :(

I meant "unofficial" as in "not supported by MPlayer Team".

Regards,
R.