[MPlayer-users] can anyone play the Oblivion trailer?

Sun Jul 3 15:17:54 CEST 2005

Hi Rich Felker!

 On 2005.06.30 at 17:55:21 -0400, Rich Felker wrote next:

> > The real solution is to use -vo xvidix. You'll be able to play videos in
> > any resolution and without any bad effects (but there are drawbacks -
> > you'll have to use suid root mplayer, 'alias mplayer="sudo mplayer"'
> > solution that I use works too). Also it can be a bit faster than xv (and
> > much faster than x11).
>
> DO NOT DO THIS!! Properly install svgalibhelper or dhahelper and set

It's my home PC. How would anyone be able to log in into? Even when it
is connected to internet, the only service that is opened is ssh with
root login prohibited.

> appropriate permissions. suid root mplayer is EXACTLY THE SAME as

Like I said, suid root is really bad - but sudo is much better. Write

username ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /usr/local/bin/mplayer

in sudoers, and set alias mplayer='sudo mplayer' in .bashrc. That's all.

> suid-root shell: it means everyone (including the cracker who breaks
> into some shitty useless running-as-uid-nobody service you happen to
> have enabled) is root.

OK, you suggest svgalibhelper or dhahelper. First, I don't use and don't
need svgalib, or you mean that svgalibhelper will help me with xvidix?

dhahelper doesn't compile, it's broken for the past two years. Or I
don't know how to compile it, maybe that.

If you really want people to use that solution, you should at least
write something about compiling in docs...

--

Vladimir