[MPlayer-users] Question about -vo gl

Reimar Döffinger uvhe at rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Jan 30 19:34:20 CET 2005

Hi,
On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 05:45:40PM +0300, Vladimir Mosgalin wrote:
> I don't understand one thing in gl output driver: both gl and gl2
> drivers eat much more cpu resources in window mode than in fullscreen.
> Why? Shouldn't it be other way around or, more likely, no difference?

Well, first of all it is very easy to get incorrect numbers for CPU
usage...
But it could be slightly more e.g. because in non-fs mode other windows
need to be rendered, too. It might of course be some bug, but actually
the most probable explanation is that OpenGL is often used for games
that use fullscreen mode, so that is specially optimized (you can use
the whole framebuffer in this case, might ease some things). And last
but not least from all I heard the fglrx drivers are know to be
exceptionally crappy POS.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger