[MPlayer-users] XV display too wide

Preston A. Elder prez at goth.net
Fri Jan 28 17:01:01 CET 2005

> > Maybe add monitoraspect=12/3 in your config? MPlayer can't know that
> > your _monitor_ is three times as wide as normal.
Changing this setting helped, but not completely.  Even at 3 (I tried
all three settings) it was still wider than it should be.

> No it can. Xinerama reports the size of the individual screens.
I am not using Xinerama, just a 'merged mode' - meaning the video card
itself is outputting to 3 screens, but as far as X is concerned, I have
only one screen.

> If this doesn't work correctly, as it is in your case, then it's
> either missing support in MPlayer (ie, switched off at compile time)
> or a bug in the xinerama code of MPlayer.
As I said, xawtv seems to get it right - which is why I was thinking
mplayer, though it could also be something funky with my vid. card's XV
support (the Parhelia is not very well supported on Linux, though it is
supported).

One other thing I just noticed comparing 'x11' and 'xv' - when I play it
with 'x11', the beginning MPAA rating warning for the trailer I was
playing in the example I pasted (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
trailer, if you care) has a green background.  When I play it with 'xv'
as the output, the background is a pink/purple colour - and it looks
like the colours are off like that for the entire clip.  Though some
colours are not effected.

PreZ :)