[MPlayer-users] Re: [-] XV display too wide

Matthias Wieser mwieser at gmx.de
Fri Jan 28 16:36:05 CET 2005

Am Freitag, 28. Januar 2005 11:05 schrieb Reimar Döffinger:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 01:58:14AM -0500, Preston A. Elder wrote:
> > I have a Matrox Parhelia, which now supports XV properly.  I am
> > running a triple screen setup in merged mode (so according to X, I
> > have a 3840x1024 screen).
> >
> > When I try to play a movie using XV as my output method, the display
> > is 3 times wider than it should be - the height, however, is correct.
>
> Maybe add monitoraspect=12/3 in your config?

A bad work around. I have to do the same for my 5:4 TFT.

> MPlayer can't know that
> your _monitor_ is three times as wide as normal.

?? Nearly every media player knows that I own a 5:4 display with square
pixel.

Even a simple shell script could know it:

mw at linux-nb:~> xdpyinfo |grep resolution
  resolution:    95x95 dots per inch
mw at linux-nb:~> xdpyinfo |grep dimensions
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (342x274 millimeters)

At least it would be a better default if Mplayer would assume squared
pixels instead of a 4:3 display. Then users of 17" and 19" TFTs, users of
15:9 notebook displays, cinerama users, and all other users with sane
monitor resolutions would see correctly scaled videos.

Greetings,
   Matthias