[MPlayer-users] bug: subtitles incorrectly displayed with movie coded with matroska codec

Savchenko Andrew Bircoph at list.ru
Fri Jan 28 10:35:22 CET 2005

Hi!

> > > I think this converting is already implemented and can be done by using
> > > -subcp <subtitle_encoding> option.
> >
> > Correct. And it also is default when enca is used AFAIK. Unfortunately
> > some (all?) of the OSD fonts of the homepage do not support unicode -
> > hopefully this will be fixed soon.
>
> uhg, are people still using those horrible bitmap fonts? imo we should
> remove support for them and always use  type/truetype fonts...

Afaik, Monotype license forbids TTF distribution in Linux distributives, but
allows downloading and usage for own purposes. So, if you'll remove support
for bitmap fonts users wouldn't be available to see movies with subtitles
"from the box", they would download and install truetype fonts manually. Thus
I think it is bad idea to remove support for bitmap fonts.