[MPlayer-users] Audio encoding speed?

Matthew W. Miller mwmiller at columbus.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 16:53:27 CET 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 06:10:11PM +0100, Josef Wolf wrote:
>I noticed that encoding mpeg2 TS streams to divx with
>    -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0
>takes about four times longer than with
>    -oac copy
>This would mean that audio encoding takes about three times longer than
>video encoding.

How new is the version of LAME you're using?  If it's newer than 3.93.1,
a lot more 'quality' has been added to the higher-quality settings; so
aq=0 is a lot slower than it used to be.  Try aq=5 and listen carefully
to decide whether the resulting audio is acceptable for you.  If not,
try aq=2 or aq=1.
--
Matthew Miller <mwmiller at columbus.rr.com>
"One of the best things about the internet is finding out how wholesome