[MPlayer-users] subtitle problems/bugs with mplayer1.0pre6 on linux

lode leroy lode_leroy at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:08:20 CET 2005

I folks... I have some problems to report about mplayer.

I installed MPlayer on my slackware-10 system
(PIII-350/512MB/Matrox-mga200/linux-2.6.9).
I installed the mga_vid driver too... this makes it possible to play a DVD
on my pc that is too
slow for any other video player to use on... praise to the developers!
(chapeau!)

first problem: no subtitles. The DVD I tried to play was 'the english
patient', dutch version.
The DVD menu does list "Dutch" for the available subtitles, but selecting it
didn't work.
(also -slang nl or -sid 0 did not work). What can I do to find out the
format
of the subtitles on the DVD?
fix: I downloaded the subtitles as SRT file and used that.

second problem: when using pgdn/pgup to find back the correct scene after a
break,
I noticed that the subtitles were no longer synchronised with the movie,
although I found
how to correct this using z/x, but I think this should be fixed as well.
(about 2000 ms delay
was needed)

third problem: after about 1-1/2 hours, the SRT subtitles re-started from
the beginning,
must be some  overflow of a timer somewhere...

hope this helps to improve mplayer...

-- lode