[MPlayer-users] reencoding question

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Wed Jan 19 16:56:23 CET 2005

On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:49:47PM +0100, ron wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some Avis which are 708MB, 750MB  and such.
> I would like to burn them on a CD, but they are "a bit" to big.
> Can I solve this with reencoding?
> Will the quality be dramtically reduced through the reencoding process?
> How do I do that?
> Cheers,
> Ron

a 708meg file should fit just fine... you can usually overburn up to
710 megs or so. anyway, if you need to shrink files, i would strongly
recommend leaving the video alone and just reencoding audio. most
idiotic oversize files you find on the internet have cbr 128kbit mp3
audio, and just reencoding it to vbr with lame will make a plenty
difference. use something like mencoder -ovc copy -oac mp3lame ...
with the right -lameopts to give about 96-112 kbit abr mp3, or else
full vbr with q=8 or 9.

rich