[MPlayer-users] How to choose sound card for audio out on system with 2 sound cards

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Sun Jan 16 13:38:36 CET 2005

On Sunday 16 January 2005 13:25, Vladimir Vladimirov wrote:
> Hi
> I'm running WinXP system and mplayer (ming compilation)
> My PC has two sound cards - SB Live! and onboard AC97 compitable.
> MPlayer play sound to Primary Sound card, which is set in system settings.
> I would like to dirrect sound to non Primary Sound Card - which allows
> me work on my PC when my relatives watch movies on connected TV and
> have different sounds to be played on different sound cards (Windows
> sounds on my primary sound card and movie sound on non primary sound
> card)
> Is there way to choose sound card for audio output in MPlayer?

Latest release from http://mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32-beta allows
to do this with -ao dsound:device=2 where 2 is the number of the soundcard you
want to use. mplayer -ao dsound -v file.avi will print a list.

A new release with updated documentation and x264 support will be uploaded
some day.

Sascha