[MPlayer-users] -ovc copy changes aspect?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Jan 11 09:55:06 CET 2005

Josef Wolf wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just did the following in the hope that only audio would be
> compressed and video would be left as is:
>
> mencoder in.avi -oac mp3lame -lameopts q=0:vbr=0:aq=0 -ovc copy -o out.avi
>
> But for some reason, this changes aspect ratio.  Is this by intent?

Unless I'm very much mistaken, the only way this could possibly change
the aspect ratio is if the original AVI contained an "aspect" header
(specifying what aspect to play with) and the output AVI does not. Since
nothing but MPlayer pays any attention to the "aspect" header AFAIK, if
this is the case the two files should have the same aspect ratio if
played back in another player.

If you're willing to use MPlayer's OpenDML code, which has been known ot
cause problems for some people, you can specify the aspect ratio of the
output AVI with the -force-avi-aspect option, described in the man page.
If you aren't, then short of transcoding the video, as far as I know
you're probably screwed.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.