[MPlayer-users] Re: Specify path for a specific codec

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Sun Jan 9 14:51:52 CET 2005

* Reimar Döffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>:
> On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 11:59:38AM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > is it possible to specify the path of a specific codec when running
> > mplayer?  I couldn't find anything in the documentation.

[...]

> > It would be nice to use it via something like:
> > $ mplayer -codec /path/to/codec ...

> > So people could use specific codecs I can not ship with the
> > distribution via usb sticks for example.

> Simplest solution probably is to set it while compiling to e.g.
> /codecs and tell the user mount/link the right directory there...

This would have been my fallback version (I'm using [pre-]packaged
version(s) of mplayer).

> Btw. last time I tried MPlayer would/could use the codecs from the
> current directory...

That's nice, indeed! I'll provide this solution to users asking me
how to use own codecs for the moment.

Maybe it would be helpful anyway to be able to choose a directory
containing codecs while runtime (specifying via parameter or
codecs.conf). As users told me that's possible with xine, would be
nice to see this feature at mplayer too. ;-)

regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux for texttool-users and sysadmins