[MPlayer-users] strange sound problem with mpeg2 files

Georg Steffers georg at steffers.org
Fri Jan 7 14:56:56 CET 2005

Hi,

i use MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 on a SuSE 9.1 (kernel 2.6.4) alsa v1.0.3.
I discovered some strange audio problem while playing mpeg2 files. I
wouldn't have notived if a didn't recode a DivX to mpeg2 to make an VCD
from it.
The DivX played normal, the same in xine and in mplayer. Then i made
the mpeg2 using mkxvcd.sh. The resulting mpeg2 sound strange when
played with mplayer. It is hard to explain...something like echos on
with special frequencies...I am sorry i cannot describe better. But
when played with xine the mpeg2 sounds the same as the DivX.
After that i tried some other mpgs i downloaded and it seems that this
problem occurs with (nearly) every mpg file i have.
I tried lots of commandline switches depending audio output on mplayer
with no success.

Greets
   Georg