[MPlayer-users] Do I need vpass=2 in multi-pass mode of mencoder?

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gmx.de
Sat Feb 26 22:01:53 CET 2005

On Saturday 26 February 2005 00:40, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 25 February 2005 at 16:02, Vijay Gill wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I am encoding my recorded programs with vpass=1  and vpass=3,
> > vpass=3. In other words 3 passes. I have encoded only one program
> > though. Do I need vpass=2 before vpass=3. From the document it seems I
> > do not.
>
> Correct. vpass=2 is the old 2-pass mode. vpass=3 is the new multi-pass
> mode, that works for passes 2, 3, 4 and so on.

No the question appears: Why should one use different parameters for two and
threepass mode. Why not use the same vpass=3 for twopass-mode as well. (And
then possibly rename this to vpass=2 but with new meaning). Does this make
any difference?

Or in other words: Does vpass=3 has any significant disadvantages compared
with vpass=2 in second pass of twopass encoding?

Matthias