[MPlayer-users] lavc-divx incompatibility

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sun Feb 20 19:27:06 CET 2005

Hi,
On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 08:09:04PM +0200, Ville Saari wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:24:20AM +0100, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
>
> > > If I try to play lavc encoded mpeg4 on windows media player using divx
> > > codec for decoding, then every now and then the image shatters into
> > > random block mess and stays like that until the next I-frame.
> > I didn't experience that myself (though I encode very little myself).
> > What are your encoding options? It could be a bug, but more probable
> > seems to me that what you see is caused by the fact that divx by today
> > seems to be quite a bit behind in development,
>
> I tweak my options case by case, but usually they are pretty much like
> this particular example, where the source was a non-anamorphic NTSC DVD:
>
> mencoder \
>     -ofps 23.97602397602398 \

I think 24000/1001 is the recommended way to specify this *g*

>     -noodml -sws 5 \
>     -vf dsize=108/79,crop=708:382:4:48,hqdn3d,scale=592:352 \
>     -ovc lavc \
>     -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vmax_b_frames=2:lmin=2:lmax=2:vb_qfactor=2:mbd=2:prec
> mp=2:cmp=2:subcmp=2:v4mv:mv0:trell:qpel:keyint=120:autoaspect \

I have been told that using B-frames is a bad idea, especially with
lavc...
qpel and v4mv are advanced features that are a bit more likely to cause
trouble, too (though only with really old divx versions I think...)

> > Anyway, I'd suggest to simply use ffdshow instead of divx *g*.
>
> I use mplayer and try to stay away from windows, but the problem is
> the people I encode videos for. I don't always have control over their
> codec selection. Where I do have control, I have installed mplayer and
> told them to use that instead of windows media player.

Well, but downloading and installing ffdshow still is a lot less trouble
than divx - and they get e.g. MPEG-2 support for free *g* - without
having to use a different player (shocking, but some people actually
seem to like Windows MediaPlayer...).

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger