[MPlayer-users] lavc-divx incompatibility

Phil Oleynik Phil.Oleynik at mail.ioffe.ru
Sun Feb 20 12:13:08 CET 2005

Ville Saari wrote:

>If I try to play lavc encoded mpeg4 on windows media player using divx
>codec for decoding, then every now and then the image shatters into
>random block mess and stays like that until the next I-frame. Apparently
>lavc and divx interpret the mpeg4 standard somewhat differently. Does
>anyone know which one is wrong?
>
>This has been true for every version of both codecs that I have tested
>during the last two years or so. There is lot of variation in the
>frequency of the artifact, but I'm not sure whether it is the codec
>versions or the encoded content that is responsible for the difference.
>Sometimes it happens only a few times during the whole movie and sometimes
>every few seconds.

Hello!

Yes, you are right. lavc-encoded streams goes to bricks at every
optimized keyframe if decoded with
original DivX for wndws. The reason is seemed that lavc uses some other
algorithm for packing keyframes.
It is cured by using FFDShow (ffdshow.sourceforge.net), that is based on
ffmpeg decoder, is much
faster and versatile than DivX. If you are extremely forced to use DivX
(e.g. to recode under wndws),
I do no know any way out, except recoding under Linux with mencoder or
transcode. If your goal is
just play under wndws, use FFDShow, do not forget to install proper
version (normal(pre P-III, all AMD),
SSE(P-III) or SSE2(P-4)). Wrong version may hang system.

Best wishes, Phil