[MPlayer-users] Intel HD audio (azalia), alsa 1.0.8 and mplayer problem

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Feb 5 12:18:22 CET 2005

Hi,
On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 10:55:24AM +0000, Iakobos Triantafillou wrote:
> With -ao alsa:
>
> alsa-init: setup for 1/2 channel(s)
> alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
> (stays there indefinately)
>
> With -ao oss:
>
> audio_setup: using '/dev/dsp' dsp device
> audio_setup: using '/dev/mixer' mixer device
> audio_setup: using 'pcm' mixer device
> [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
> resource busy

These two will be solved by apt-get remove --purge esd
Or if you dislike the extremes, use killall esd. But the former is a
better reaction towards esd IMHO.
Or if you have /dev/dsp1 or in alsa hw:0,1 you can use those (see
manpage for alsa and oss suboptions).

> With -ao esd:
>
> [AO ESD] esd_open_sound failed: Success

I like that kind of error message...
Ask the maintainer of ao_esd.c - oh, wait that is yet another of the
MPlayer parts that do not have a maintainer...
Now seriously, I had a quick look at the code and couldn't see anything
obviously wrong...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger