[MPlayer-users] Mencoder and HuffYUV

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sat Feb 5 02:13:47 CET 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005, [iso-8859-1] Levente Novákák Levente wrote:

> I would like to encode into HuffYUV (colorspace 422P) for quality reasons.
> However, while grabbing, frame rate drops below 23 periodically, when
> mencoder transfers the frames onto disk. It only lasts a 2-3 seconds, but
> makes the captured video jerky. Is there a way to flush the cache more
> often? If the chunks transferred onto the disk would be smaller, there
> wouldn't be such slowdown during disk transfers.

AFAIK mencoder doesn't flush at all, it's just up to your fwrite and/or
filesystem.

If you haven't already, you could try ffvhuff instead of huffyuv, for
better compression. (Assuming you don't have enough CPU for ffv1.)
-lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff:vstrict=-1:pred=2:context=1:format=422p

You could try a bigger input buffer (-cache) instead of smaller output.
(But this won't help if it has to wait 3 seconds for the disk.)

--Loren Merritt