[MPlayer-users] Some remaining problems w/ multimedia on Linux

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Sat Dec 24 22:20:22 CET 2005

On 12/24/2005 07:28 AM, RC wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 01:18:25 +0000 (UTC) Reshat Sabiq
> <sabiq at csociety.org> wrote:
>
>> 1. i can understand MS websites requiring IE (kinda), but would
>> like to at least be able to view Yahoo news video:
>> http://news.yahoo.com/video
>
> Looks like SWF video.  No way for MPlayer to play it.  Complain to
> Macromedia.

Yow. That is also one UGLY bit of source, there; I haven't even been
able to figure out how to extract the URL to download the file (whether
SWF or otherwise) to my local disk. And that's a first, for me, with
anything remotely pretending to be a video stream. (The last time I
failed to figure out how to get the URL for something embedded was back
in my AOL days, which should be enough of an excuse on their own.)

I mean, who needs 130K and 3900+ lines of JavaScript just to stream a
video?? (Against ~1K and a grand total of thirteen lines of HTML -
twenty if you count the blank ones.) I've seen some crazy
circumlocutions in video-streaming setups before, but that seriously
takes the metaphorical cake.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.