[MPlayer-users] Trouble with Mp3 audio in MP4 containers

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 16:05:08 CET 2005

On 12/22/2005 02:45 AM, WireSpot wrote:

> On 12/21/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> I know you meant that the A/V sync was off. I meant, in what way is
>> it "off"?
>
> Varying audio delay. I did think about a constant delay but that was
> not the case.

Okay, that's definitely weird, because I do *not* get the same effect
with the same files on my system. The only remaining problem I haven't
figured out how to work around comes from trying to seek in the files
(the audio and video wind up 'way out of sync, in a rather unusual way);
I've watched four episodes now in MP4 form with those three options,
with no observed desync at all. (In fact, I have better unadjusted sync
than I do with the AVI versions.)

>> Are the MP4 files you're having to deal with the ones being
>> released by Kaizoku-Fansubs? (If not, I'd be interested to know who
>> else is using the same software, since I haven't been able to get
>> K-F to talk to me about how they create their files.)
>
> Yes, they're the same files. And same thing, K-F won't say anything
> about how they make them. I'm not talking about specific encoder
> parameters, they won't even name the software. /shrug

Yeah... it's annoying, but they're not even the most outsider-unfriendly
fansubbing group I've ever come across.

> For now I'm glad there's a workaround, although, if this is legal MP4
> and MPlayer fails somehow, of course it should be known.

Whether or not it *is* a truly compliant MP4 is not necessarily certain,
although I think it does seem to be. However, there are at least three
different bugs involved in the problem (even leaving aside the seeking
issue I mentioned), two in libavformat and one in MPlayer; all of them
are known, and unfortunately no one seems inclined to try to address any
of them. I wouldn't be above doing it myself, if I had any understanding
of the code.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.