[MPlayer-users] No subtitles without "rewinding"

William Norfleet williamnorfleet2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 22 14:56:30 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 08:14 -0500, William Norfleet wrote:
> Subtitles do not appear while playing these DVDs until the left arrow
> key is pressed to "rewind" playback, and mencoder does not capture them.
> So, might the fix be to capture subtitles to a file during playback
> which includes pressing the arrow key, use mencoder to capture the
> video, then use mplayer to merge the video and subtitle files?  vobsub
> or mpsub?  I've poured over the manpages and html docs and can't quite
> find the key to the palace.  Suggestions?

EUREKA!!!
The solution is to start mplayer and mencoder at chapter 2.  This misses
the credits, but that's not a big loss.  So something is amiss in
chapter 1 of the Criterion collection of old, great Russian, Japanese,
and French films such that subtitle playback can't get started.
--
William Norfleet <williamnorfleet2000 at yahoo.com>