[MPlayer-users] ffmpeg wma2 decoding fails on WMV file where parameters "-afm acm, dshow" succeed.

Philverb philverb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 21:18:16 CET 2005

Hello list,

I found myself unable to play the file of which there is a sample at snacky's
  http://snackbox.org/mps/wma2failure.wmv
without feeding mplayer the parameters ""-afm acm,dshow" to get it to employ the M$ family of
audio codecs before ffmpeg's.

As you will see from the sample, playing the file without audio runs smoothly, as does playing it
without video.  It does not seem to be laden with DRM metadata.  After playback is started with
audio and video, both streams come out intermittent with larger gaps and tinny playback for the
sound.

I describe the problem in the #mplayer IRC chat and snacky suggested that I address it on this
list.  Since it is apparently an inadequacy of ffmpeg, the behavior is manifest in a number of
desktop players using the libraries.

I hope this helps us all, since it's apparent from the search engines that others have encountered
the same problem with directshow files.

Werd.